YES, IT'S DIGITAL AND WE'RE PROUD OF IT!
WE ARE MAKING A VERY HANDS-ON, GROUNDBREAKING NEW SYNTH HAVING PLENTY OF KNOBS AND SWITCHES
TO SHAPE ANY SOUND PARAMETER THAT'S IN IT. NOTHING TO LOOK UP IN MENUS!
The Modor NF-1 synth is a digital DSP synth somewhat comparable to the classic Virtual Analog synths, but Modor is moving further on from this point. We use the classic structure of VA-synths, with oscillators, filters and effects, with parameters that can be modulated using LFO's and envelopes. But every element has been rethought and reinvented. In a digital way.
The NF-1 has a classic 12dB/oct resonant filter, but we also gave it a versatile formant filter, never seen in hardware before! It does make classic sawtooth waves, but we also included some brand new noisy waveforms! It has classic chorus and delay effects, but every parameter is editable to give way to special unexpected effect types! And so on...
Read more about the filters, waveforms or the modulation matrix. Since firmware upgrade OS013 the NF-1 also goes fully microtonal.
UPGRADED HARDWARE VERSION
The Modor NF-1 received an hardware upgrade in 2017. The new units in the stores now are all be this updated version. What's different?
- A new type of potentiometers give the knobs a more stable, less 'wobbly' feeling
- A new DAC gives a 12dB lower noise floor, Cirrus Logic CS4334 DAC has been replaced by CS4392
- A USB connector has been added (for MIDI over USB, no audio). Class compliant, so driver installation on your computer is not necessary.
- Line out is now capable of driving a headphone
- Improved EMC design to further avoid picking up environment noise
But of course, the genuine Modor sound stays 100% identical. Your ears won't notice the difference, except maybe for a slight background hiss in the first generation units when recording soft, heavily filtered sounds. It's gone!
All software improvements and OS upgrades will still be available for all users of both the first and second generation devices. So don't worry if you have a 'first generation' device, you will be able to keep your machine up to date with the newest upgrades!
Note: All NF-1m units had these improvements since the beginning. There are no 'first gen' or 'second gen' minimodors!
We have a software editor for the NF-1 and NF-1m out now. Look for it on our download page. Mac OS X, Linux and Windows versions are available!
A few Modor NF-1 demo's by some of our friends. More demo's can be found on our SOUNDCLOUD PAGE!
- 8 voices
- Poly, Mono and Mono-legato modes
- 448 patches, 14 banks [A-N] of 32 patches
- All factory presets can be overwritten
- 9V, 600mA adapter connection, positive voltage on center pin
- MIDI IN/THRU/OUT connections, 3x 5-pin DIN connection
- Audio Left/Stereo output, for 6.35mm TRS or mono jack, unbalanced, capable of driving headphones
- Audio Right output, 6.35mm mono jack, unbalanced
- Sustain switch, 6.35mm mono jack
- Volume/modulation pedal, 6.35mm TRS jack
- USB connector (MIDI only, class compliant - no driver installation necessary)
FRONT PANEL CONTROLS
- 42 rotary knobs
- 20 pushbuttons
- 1 rotary encoder
- 1 Power switch/volume knob
- 16x2 green backlit LCD display, latin and cyrillic characters
- All 'continuous' sound parameters accept and transmit Midi Control Changes in realtime
- Pitch Bend, Velocity, Aftertouch (Channel&Poly), Modwheel (CC#1), BreathCtrl (CC#2), CC#3 and Expression pedal (CC#4) modulation
- Backups and patch exchanges via Patch, Bank and Memory Sysex Dumps
- Firmware upgrades via Sysex
- MIDI MPE-compatible
- Width: 440mm without rack ears, 480mm with rack ears (19")
- Height: 267mm (10.5"/ 6U)
- Depth: 40mm (front) - 80mm (back)
- Weight: +/- 6kg
- Height: 6 rack units
- Recessed backside connections to ease rack mounting (no lost rackspace above)
- Rack mounting ears included
- 3 identical fully independent oscillators
- 10 waveforms:
- SAW: pulse width modulation sawtooth wave
- SQU: pulse width modulation pulse wave
- TRI: pulse width modulation triangle wave
- SYNC: sounding like a oscillator-synced wave
- ADD: additive harmonics
- SONAR: resonant bandpass filtered noise
- WIND: wind instrument noise
- ARC: arcade game style noise
- FM: sinus FM pair
- FBFM: feedback sinus FM pair
- 12dB/oct resonant filter switchable as lowpass, hipass, bandpass or bandstop (notch)
- Formant filter with 3 morphing vowels, 10 vowel presets and user controllable formant frequencies
- 'Comb filter' effect section to create chorus, flanger, ... effects
- Delay effect section to create echo effects
- All parameters can be set independently and can be modulated
- 4 3-stage envelopes, 3 level settings and 4 time settings
- 2 switchable LFO's with TRI/SAW/SQU/SIN waveforms, 1 TRI-LFO connected to modwheel, 1 random S&H with lowpass option
- Modulation matrix with 7 user-definable modulation wires,
19 source signals, 86 destination parameters